Devon D Day 2015

I would like to announce a new event for next year, 2015, called 'Devon D Day' it is to be held at the Cobbaton Combat Collection over the 5th-7th June 2015.

Held in conjunction with the Devon area MVT, Friends of the Assault Training Center, Cobbaton Combat Collection, it will feature an education day on the Friday for local schools, Saturday the 6th will see a vehicle road run from Cobbaton to Braunton Burrows and a visit to some of the remaining structures with a wreath laying ceremony at one of the concrete LCT's then out onto the invasion training beach up to Saunton to form up and display to the public. After returning to Cobbaton in the evening there will be a film show and barbecue. The Sunday will be based at Cobbaton with living history group displays, bring and buy sale and vehicles on display plus the museum to look around. please go towww.assaulttrainingcenterfriends.co.uk to download a booking form. We are looking for living history groups plus ww2 vehicles to join in.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The event is coming together nicely now, it`s early days but we have 35 WWII vehicles already booked in for the convoy.

Also found a nice wartime photo of the Assault Training Center showing one of the concrete "dummy" landing craft being used for embarkation/disembarkation training, there are several of these still standing and we hope to re-create images like this on the day, using archive photos.

lctWWII_zps4cyawqup.png

• 1 month later...

Thanks Tim, those links are excellent. I`d not seen the Belgian gate photo before and I wander if we can identify the spot they were using for this excersize, the landscape has changed a little in 70 years as the sand dunes "roll" but a study of original ATC maps might help.

Belgian Gates.jpg

Thanks for the generosity Tim. However, I am already quite set up with my friends Charles and William. Hopefully we'll be able to Swim! :D:D

I look forward to some Beers!!

SD

That would be a sight to see! There hasn`t been an LVT in North Devon for many many years...

LVT Mk3, Westward Ho (1) - Copy.jpg

LVT Mk3, Westward Ho - Copy.jpg

Fantastic News, The Chivenor Military Wives Choir will be performing on Saturday 6th June at Saunton Sands Car Park.

This event is getting bigger and bigger, all we need now is a Sherman and a DUKW to join the 46 strong convoy!:cool2:

Thanks for the generosity Tim. However, I am already quite set up with my friends Charles and William. Hopefully we'll be able to Swim! :D:D

I look forward to some Beers!!

SD

If we can see the lvt swim i'll buy the beers myself! I'm one of the organisers and it will be nice to see you there after your journey here.

Fantastic News, The Chivenor Military Wives Choir will be performing on Saturday 6th June at Saunton Sands Car Park.

This event is getting bigger and bigger, all we need now is a Sherman and a DUKW to join the 46 strong convoy!:cool2:

That`s great news, am I right in thinking the Chivenor military wives were the original choir from Gareth Malone`s TV series?

I took the Jeep up there several times from Axminster. It seemed a long drive then. It would take me forever to get there now from North Oxfordshire. I always really enjoyed it. Must have been at least 25 years ago. Here are a few photos from two trips that I made.

Tim, I think this is you:

Untitled-Scanned-02_zpsa6gbnqy8.jpg

I think this is one of the ex Charlie Mann GMC’s

Untitled-Scanned-03_zpskfnhs8nl.jpg

Who did the CJ belong to, and is that Preston in the middle:

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpsopnc0bfe.jpg

That looks like Rob Miller next to my Jeep

Untitled-Scanned-05_zps7ipcopbo.jpg

Bazooka wall

Untitled-Scanned-06_zpskb6pknx1.jpg

On the LCT. Who did the CMP belong to?

Untitled-Scanned-07_zpsrou1fwyq.jpg

First Wave 44 (the early years)

Untitled-Scanned-04_zpsbj9wised.jpg

Was there a story about the trawler. It was derelict inside.

Untitled-Scanned-10_zpsqx9zfnao.jpg

Probably my favourite photo from that expedition

Untitled-Scanned-09_zpswfqbwt4a.jpg

On one of the LCT’s

Untitled-Scanned-08_zpssdlhqaex.jpg

Wish I had taken more photos. Looking forwards to next Month.